lichess.org
Donate

Fat Fritz 2 is a rip-off

If you really must spend money on a engine and like the fritz interface then buy Komodo - its a strong engine that is original. But its solidly behind Lc0 and Stockfish.
the last Fritz i use is Fritz 2. I still use it on an old PC. Just to have something to play while doing other things.

if this article is right it is a shame for fritz ans i am proud to play with the fish :) And i really like to play for free thanks to others.
I would spent money but, "there is much month left when money ends". Perhaps, sometimes; there will be better days.

Thanks for this great way to play chess at any time i want with nice people all over the world. Feel being hugged alltogether :)
Got to give props for lichess for being the first to expose regium chess. at the time of the lichess blog post calling out regium, chesscom had accepted money from regium and were doing live ad reads on their streams.

The live ad read I remember was the CCO and a really nice grandmaster, both whose names I've forgotten. The grandmaster was clearly skeptical, describing it magic with a smirk. That made me feel angry, like they knew it was a scam yet advertised it to their users, many paying customers, anyway.

after lichess blog post the rest of the chess sites followed with their own blog posts calling out regium.

regium got kicked off kickstarter.

regium bought a self hosted crowd funding platform which looks to be a wordpress plugin.

I didn't see any ads anywhere for it but it's possible they bought facebook or google ads.

regium set a deliver date of December last year on their crowdfunding platform, and I guess managed to collect some money. It's not possible to know.

after december came regium updated their site to january.

after january, regium put the site in maintenance mode.

I guess the regium scam is over. They've appear to have given up on trying to collect more money.

This fat fritz in my opinion is misleading marketing and bad value for money for me. it probably is worth some money, not for the engine, but the packaging, interface and integration, but that's not worth $100 to me.

For some people it is worth $100, even knowing the marketing is misleading in my opinion. That's fine. Go for it and be happy with your purchase.

I guess the injustice is people who don't know the marketing is misleading (in my opinion), and think it's worth $100 based on the marketing, and perhaps they would think it isn't worth $100 if they had a clearer picture of what they were buying.
I'm not sure how many people read through the comments, but let me add just a little. Stockfish is licensed under the Gnu Public License (GPL) version 3. The Stockfish team is looking at the ramifications of that. One thing to remember is that you can't add new terms to the GPL (like no using SF for commercial purposes). The GPL is quite explicit that modifications need to be published and credit given where appropriate. I think it's fair to say (my opinion!) that ChessBase is trying to minimally conform with the GPL requirements but screwed it up with the initial FF2 release. They are aware that they screwed up and responded by (for example) putting their version of the Stockfish code on github.

I'll keep following the comments (until I get bored, I guess) and will respond if people have specific questions and I know the answer.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.