lichess.org
Donate

Fat Fritz 2 is a rip-off

It will be interesting to see whether this blow destroys the ChessBase business, and if so, what will replace the ChessBase program that all top players currently use.
Chessbase has eliminated the ability to comment on their blog posts announcing Fat Fritz 2. It was done so haphazardly that the links to "join the public discussion" are still there, just non-functional. Intentional to make it appear as if there *is* a public discussion? Hard to say.

They've also removed all comments on those announcements concurrent with removing the ability to comment. The articles all magically say "Comment (0)" now.

Integrity, ain't it grand???
Well, you can't steal open source material if it doesn't have a license. If it does have a license, get the lawyers out. If it doesn't, lesson learned.
this is scummy, man... i'm 10 but even so i can see how stupid they are, trying to get away with something like this
#96 > They've also removed all comments on those announcements concurrent with removing the ability to comment.

oh looks like the backups I made might come useful after all

edit. okay, actually I can't find any place where comments were present but are not right now.
It's a common deal for Chessbase to steal someone's ideas/work and sell it as their own product.
@Shooketh #97 Stockfish does have a license, which while allowing it to be modified and even sold for profit, also requires that such modifications are distributed with the same license (GPLv3). This precludes ChessBase from making any proprietary claims.
They take a great, free product, make it worse, and sell it for €100. How on Earth do they make money out of that business model? I guess people don't know any better.
@phoenixshade As I mentioned, Stockfish needs a good lawyer then. If the open source license hasn't been fulfilled and the GPL has been removed that is a license breach under 'copyleft' and can be litigated.

PS Thanks for letting me know, @phoenixshade !

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.