lichess.org
Donate

Fat Fritz 2 is a rip-off

Well Lichess you've done it again you supported open source chess who would have guessed ur the best.
Does the stockfish license mean only modifications to it have to be made open-source or the entire product you're selling? ie- Chessbase's GUI interface has to be made open source too in order to sell a stockfish engine with it, right? Since they're essentially 1 product being sold as a bundle at that point?
@Lichess Your work raising awareness of this issue is very commendable EXCEPT it's missing one important element. In cases where you make such bold and damming allegations you should always give the person in question a chance to respond and include that response within your main coverage. It's only fair, and the right thing to do. If Silver's response is buried somewhere within what is currently 12 pages of this Lichess forum, that is simply not adequate. And if you invited him to comment and he declined or did not respond then mention that as well.
At this point open source is already better than commercial offerings in chess.
@chessguy007 "Change the law to be more in line with morality?" (Not an exact quote probably.) The problem is that laws are written in legalese, a language designed at once to be specific and circumventable. There is no "spirit of the law," unfortunately. I have often advocated that laws be written in as precise language as possible, but that there be a parallel document written in plain English describing the law's intent and motivation, to be used as a guide by judges in interpreting the law.

Lawyering should not consist primarily of semantic games. That, unfortunately, is its current state.
@phoenixshade I agree. The U.S. Constitution, for example, should have had sections outlying more specifically how its provisions should be interpreted. Instead, we get judges interpreting the constitution either broadly or narrowly, depending on preference, and even claiming that the Constitution gives people rights that it (unfortunately) never gives (like right to privacy). And the reverse also happens, with the NSA surveillance arguably being a search and seizure without a warrant. With sections outlying how the law should be interpreted in more detail, this problem could at least be mitigated.
@Bounty77 you are right. everyone should have the right to defend themselves, and a balanced viewpoint requires that we look at the strongest possible counterarguments against our position. That is why the concept of "devil's advocate" is so important in argumentation and reasoning correctly.
@chessguy007 That is very true. That's why I think it's wise to never make up your mind about most any controversial issue really until you've heard both sides. There were times I could have bet my life about which side of an issue to support, UNTIL I heard the other side and then changed my mid. I'm not defending Silver or what he did, I'm only defending the right policy to use when making allegations.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.