lichess.org
Donate

Anti-cheat control

Most of the cheaters use about 6-10 secs for every move. But there are some cheaters that they are more clever and use the engine just for the opening, or until they get an advantage, and then they play on their own, just so they escape suspicion and so, the escape reports and in the end, they never get banned. I think that when a player uses the same time for all of their opening moves, an anti-cheat engine is activated to notify a moderator so he inspects if this guy is cheating or not.
Be careful with stuff like this. I may take 6-10 seconds for every move in the opening for classical games because I am mirroring each move on my real board and then having to click move confirmation after each of my moves. I can move instantly in many openings because I work hard on opening preparation, but there is still a setup delay. I think many people make the mistake of assuming that everyone does things the same way they do and when they don't it's somehow "suspicious."
I've played a decent amount of games; and I can honestly say that running into engines; or just people I suspect of being an engine; is far from the norm.

That being said; when I first started out I had it in my head that it was more common than it really is.

Heck; the first time someone premoved multiple moves without moving the clock my mind instantly said ITS DA CHEATSERS!

One must realize that simply because you do not understand a certain situation, move set, or style of play; does not automatically mean that something untoward is happening.

If you suspect a game then you should analyze it.
See your mistakes/blunders. Did you put yourself in a position that allowed your opponent to easily capitalize? What did they do to lead you to this mistake?

Using this method I have been playing antichess for the past month and moved myself from a 1100 rating up to a 1990 rating; before a couple of days of idiocy and now Im back around 18.
But, I think you still get my point: More often than not; you lose the game rather than your opponent winning; due to your own mistakes; rather than your opponent being a chess God or use of a program.

Plenty of script kiddies and cheaters out there. But its not a majority; or even a high % minority. Least; thats my experience.

Lastly; most people own a computerized chess board and comfortably play against the computer without screaming at it and saying ILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN! Worst case scenario and your opponent isnt legit; take it as a learning situation and trust that they will be caught and any RPs refunded in the long run.

Or; be like RJ MacReady and just pour your drink into the computer tower.
If someone is only cheating in the opening they are probably referring to a database and not an engine. If you know an opening well, then spending 6-10 seconds per move until you reach unfamiliar territory doesn't sound far fetched. If you play the Ruy Lopez you can play more than 20 moves sometimes without thinking, just by rote.

@PhillipTheTank I wouldn't admit to using a real board. Nobody knows that you aren't using it as an analysis board which is technically against the rules. I know people like to replicate OTB but it's a dodgy subject.
It's not a dodgy subject at all and I'm happy to admit it. Nobody knows that anyone isn't cheating in some way. I will leave whether you admit to such things up to you, of course, but I am perfectly fine with admitting it.

And no, I do not use it as an analysis tool. So now you know that (just as well as you know everyone else isn't).
No offense was meant @PhillipTheTank

Just because you don't think the subject is contentious doesn't mean it isn't. I know some people like replicating the OTB experience by using a real board and personally I have no problem with that. I know many people do though and they will say you have an unfair advantage and many online chess sites state somewhere in their TOS that it's technically not allowed. I've not checked Lichess policy on this tbh.

Again, sorry if I offended you. Just my opinion.

No, the fact that it isn't a contentious subject means it isn't. Literally never seen a single post complaining about it and I've been around online chess and this subject since the late 90s.

I would love to see one person say that I have an unfair advantage. I'm not moving the pieces around and trying out variations, just like they are not. And I have nothing more than their claim that they aren't doing it, just like they have nothing more than my claim.

Also, no chess site I have been on has had that (duplicating the moves on a real board -- not referring to trying out variations, that is obviously forbidden) in their TOS, and believe me I have checked. Including this one.

I'm not offended, just setting the record straight.
"Cheating is defined as using anything, other than your own knowledge, that gives you an advantage when playing against another user."

Now in online chess, especially during long time controls, one could argue that if you are openly admitting to using a physical board while playing then you have an advantage against an opponent who isn't. There is no way to know that you are not using it as an analysis board. Also the touch move rule applies OTB for a reason. Sometimes you only "see" a blunder after physically moving the piece. Now since nobody can ever prove you are using a physical board online for analysis purposes, it's pretty hard to enforce so a blind eye is usually turned.

I've only been playing chess for a few years and have seen countless threads about this topic. That's why I suggested not mentioning the fact you use a real board. As technically it can be construed as cheating by others.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.