lichess.org
Donate

WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH 2014,CARLSEN vs ANAND

So watching round 2, all I can say is that it amazes me at this high a level of play how just a small inaccuracy in the opening-middle game transition period can snowball into an unplayable position. Anand had everything he could have hoped for out of that opening (well, except for Magnus making a mistake...I suppose he can unrealistically hope for that! hahah) and it all came down to missing such a subtle move like Qf7. Even a player the caliber of Anand can't make even one slightly inaccurate move in the first 20 moves against Magnus with the White pieces it seems, otherwise he will simply crunch down on whatever small weaknesses in the position it has created until there are no moves to find and the temptation is to make blunders. I'm already more excited with this match than last years, it feels more like a competition. Last year Anand tried to play far too safely and it led to bad positions. This time around he seems more aggressive. I like it!
Crazy to imagine such a blunder for a top player, but...
1. under increasing pressure - Carlsen just kept tightening the noose - forcing Anand to defend for ~20 moves
2. time trouble - 5 mins for 5 moves
3. direction change - file battery switch to rank battery in one move - sometimes easy to miss if you are convinced he is committed in one direction
4. I think additionally a psychological logical error chess players sometimes make - Anand likely thought h6 or h5 were inevitable freeing moves that he would have to play at some stage. He kept this idea in his head for ages... then played it at the worst moment.

I like seeing these guys blunder - gives the rest of us hope. I also like seeing Carlsen go into "engine" negative or equal positions - reminds us that for real, human chess what engines think is pretty much irrelevant - you play the positions you want to play... and pressure can make even the best buckle.

Very great points goldilocks, especially number 4! I think that was the case, Vishy knew he could hold out and delay h6, that there was no reason to give a waiting move to Carlsen, but it almost seems like he had it so rock solid in his head that he could hesitate to play it, that he stopped considering it until, as you said, the worst possible time to do so.
I am glad because Anand won third game,so this time will be much more interesting than last year.I cant wait for tomorrow!
In my opionio Carlsen will defend title in tie-break.
I don't think Carlsen would like that, though. Vishy is a pretty strong rapid and blitz player! I'm a bit surprised Carlsen allowed Vishy to get such an expansive pawn structure early in the game...allowing c5 in a QGD structure is always risky in my opinion. Vishy made a lot of trouble with that passed pawn. I guess Carlsen just really enjoys using the Black pieces to give Vishy closed positions where he can sit back with little space yet easily hold; but in this case, it wasn't such simple chess, eh?

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.