The Lichess covenant:
- lichess.org will always be free.
- lichess.org will never contain advertisements.
- lichess.org will always be open source.
The purpose of Lichess is to provide a simple chess game interface. It requires no registration; you don't need to create an account to play. It requires no plugins (e.g. Flash or Java) and can be run from any modern web browser.
- Two-player games between humans
- Single-player games (versus Stockfish, the most powerful open-source engine)
- Threefold repetition draw recording (must be claimed by player)
- Automatic draw detection by 50-move draw rule
- Automatic draw detection of insufficient mate material
- Spectator mode
- Support for moretime()
- Castling, en passant, and pawn promotion and under-promotion
- Automatic detection of check, checkmate, and stalemate
- Resignation and draw offers
- Ability to abort uninitiated games
- Ability to force resignation
- Time controls for chess clocks, including Fischer delay
- Optional Black and White player randomization
- Ability to request a player to take back a move
- Support for the Chess960 variant of chess (also known as Fischer Random)
- User-defined restriction of who can join games, based on player rating
- Greatly standards-compliant design (CSS, HTML)
- Works in any modern web browser (except Internet Explorer 8 and lesser versions), with no plugins such as Flash or Java needed
- Availability in fifty-eight languages
- Ability to toggle the overall theme of the website between black and white
- Basic chess set theme switching
- Ability to invite friends to a game via unique links created for every game
- Optional username and password registration
- Option for users to close their accounts
Analysis: the science of chess
- Computer analysis and annotations upon player request
- Database export of any players' games as comma-separated values (CSV)
- Per-game export in Portable Game Notation (PGN)
- Bookmarking games for indexing and popularity
- Complete list of checkmates in games played on Lichess
- Global statistics and charts for ratings history
- Player account statistics (e.g. rank, history) for rated games
- Visual move validation while choosing destination squares
- Game replay and analysis
- Real-time games monitor
- Integrated chat
- Spectator communication while watching a game
- Public Lichess player searching and online members page
- A custom forum package
- Ability to form teams with other players
- Individual forum boards for teams
More features are always being considered!
Lichess is open-source software. This work is licensed under the MIT License, Copyright © 2012-2013 Thibault Duplessis.
It means you may read, modify, use and redistribute the code. A copy of the license must be included in all copies of this software. You may not hold the author liable for any problems with this software.
View or download the source code using the Lichess repository on GitHub.
Lichess is built and hosted exclusively using open-source software, including:
- Scala with the Play Framework
- HTML5 with CSS
- Arch Linux
Want to improve these pages? The Wiki is referenced from here.