lichess.org
Donate

Okay, I get that you are banning keyboard, but is this really necessary?

@Assios said in #55:
> Strange interpretation, but ok

You compare ultrabullet to a horse race. I say Ultrabullet is a point-to-point race in general.

Completing the race with a horse is just an arbitrary limitation like playing ultrabullet with a mouse.
@Assios said in #42:
You declared the race as 'horse-race' yourself. So cars should be banned.

But as far as I can see, there is nothing specified in the word 'ultra bullet' from which one can interpret that it is limited to the use of mouse only.
@MariusBajorski said in #51:
> so you admit ultrabullet is basically just a mouse clicking competition? Interesting. For me, there should also be an element of chess in it.
>
> Maybe to elaborate: Horse Races are about who is the fastest with a horse. Not who is the fastest in general.
>
> Ultrabullet should be about who is the best ultrabullet player in general, not who is the best ultrabullet player with a random set of limitations

Ironically, horse races often have limitations put on them - the weight range of the jockey, the saddle type allowed on the horse, the type of equipment allowed to be used by both jockey and horse, and of course banning performance enhancing drugs for both horse and human.

I feel like what you're saying is equivalent to the people who want an Olympics without a level playing field.

Someone using KB had to know the extension existed, set it up, and then could use it not just in Ultra or Hyper, but also in general bullet or even blitz time scrambles, giving a significant advantage. That's even more so when all you had to do was quickly scan the mouse around and press a key to make a legal move. You didn't even need to know which moves are legal or not, there was no punishment on the clock for effectively guessing moves in time scrambles.
@Cynosure said in #63:
> Ironically, horse races often have limitations put on them - the weight range of the jockey, the saddle type allowed on the horse, the type of equipment allowed to be used by both jockey and horse, and of course banning performance enhancing drugs for both horse and human.
>
> I feel like what you're saying is equivalent to the people who want an Olympics without a level playing field.
>
> Someone using KB had to know the extension existed, set it up, and then could use it not just in Ultra or Hyper, but also in general bullet or even blitz time scrambles, giving a significant advantage. That's even more so when all you had to do was quickly scan the mouse around and press a key to make a legal move. You didn't even need to know which moves are legal or not, there was no punishment on the clock for effectively guessing moves in time scrambles.

congratulations, you completely missed the point! Well done!

Just to repeat: I said that Ultrabullet is NOT like a horse race lol
@Cynosure
>Someone using KB had to know the extension existed, set it up, and then could use it not just in Ultra or Hyper, but also in general bullet or even blitz time scrambles, giving a significant advantage.
Yes but if Lichess have added a proper keyboard support, it would provide equal opportunities.

>That's even more so when all you had to do was quickly scan the mouse around and press a key to make a legal move. You didn't even need to know which moves are legal or not, there was no punishment on the clock for effectively guessing moves in time scrambles.
You can do the same with mouse: drag pieces to surrounding locations until it works.
@artyom7 "Yes but if Lichess have added a proper keyboard support, it would provide equal opportunities."
I think this step would be the best for everyone. On the other side, idk lichess devs want to implement it at all.
@gbtami said in #66:
> @artyom7 "Yes but if Lichess have added a proper keyboard support, it would provide equal opportunities."
> I think this step would be the best for everyone. On the other side, idk lichess devs want to implement it at all.

I think the problem is that maintaining keyboard would be a lot of work for the devs. Everytime they make a new update, they would have to test if kb works.
Well, to be honest, I didn't use Kb add on ever because I assumed anything like this would be illegal from the get go. I didnt go looking for boosters. But here I am... reading this thread is like waking up too late to the fun?

Like someone said it before, it now explains all the crazy quick endgame players (and some trashy ones) I lost to. Lichess is right in so far I never though I could actually compete in ultrabullet but now I may take it up....

As for whether a Kb-add-on should be allowed. This sounds very alike to the idea of drugs in sport. You could allow some if they are not related to 'unatural performance enhancement'. Its a bit subjective I know. But the other side of this argument is that make a website where you do allow / make people aware they can use all kinds add-ons or enhancements. That would be fun to watch but I'll stick to lichess for now.
ToS were updated on 28th December 2021. So far, there was no response from Lichess on their motivation to kill keyboard instead of, let's say, to include it as an option that's available to everyone. This is very upsetting.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.